Friday, June 22, 2012

HEAR VERSES LISTEN

I recently had I would describe as a heated verbal confrontation with a person in my life. The topic of the argument is not really relevant. What is relevant to me is the exchange and why it happened, but I have to also understand where others are coming from so here is my blather.

When I am communicating I have to recognize that I can make people feel uncomfortable due to my ability to listen and hear.

Listen-to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.
to pay attention; heed; obey (often followed by to ): Children don't always listen to their parents.

Hear-to perceive by the ear: Didn't you hear the doorbell?
to listen with favor, assent, or compliance (often followed by of ): I will not hear of your going.
I find it incredibly hard to have a person tell me I am not listening to them. I live and work in a world that requires me to give a great amount of energy and time to listen and hear what is conveyed... What every your getting from me is my perception of what I am receiving. I am just conveying it back.. much like a reflection on a mirror.. Believe me I am not the only one that does this. What usually happens is that we mirror what we see and have no IDEA why we keep getting into the same or similar situations... Perhaps the person, place, situation is a reflection of you.

Change you and the reflection will change as well. In the end listen and hear is the point not verses..

No comments:

Post a Comment